Where the Fascists Are (was Henwood vs. Cockburn)

Rob Schaap rws at comserver.canberra.edu.au
Tue Nov 16 07:50:33 PST 1999

G'day Steve,

>now, who is it that best embodies these traits in
>american politics? neolib democrats, no question. stand-up
>guys like bill clinton and boomer schumer.
>

>well, i could go on, but every good closet dem on the
>list has heard enough to conclude i'm obviously insane...

Well, Steve; I for one don't think you're nuts at all. A bit loose with technical terms mebbe (but then, 'fascist' is shorter than 'bigoted, opportunistic, lying, murderous, plutocratic bastard') and a bit hard on soccer-mums perhaps (I am something of an expert on 'em, as I spend every winter Saturday morning hunching against the cold and chewing aspirins in their company; and better bullshit-spotters - especially bullshit dressed up as science - you'd go a long way to find.), but pretty spot-on, I reckon. The third chapter of the Gospel According to Saint Christopher (Hitchens) effectively dresses Clintonoids up as something very like nascent fascists, and the last coupla pages of the book explicitly link them to Stalinoids. And he makes it very hard to disagree.

If you can add to Hitchens's impressive list of Clinton's Orwellian, people-brutalising, polity-destroying outrages, please do. It's not only good reading; it helps Poms (whose own Clinton carries the Evil Empress's work to fruition even now), Kiwis and Ozzies alike (whose Clintons did indeed do to us what we never would have worn from our Tories).

We must help each other recognise the many smirking faces of Clintonism (whoever chose the picture for Hitchens's book's cover had a superb eye), for they belch balefully upon us all, eh?

Onya, Steve!

Rob