Clinton

Jacob Segal jsegal at mindspring.com
Tue Nov 16 23:56:48 PST 1999

>Jacob Segal wrote:
>
>> Clinton was not insubstantiable the first two years but after
>> the collapse of Health Care Reform and the Republican sweep he clearly
>> undertakes only that which is politically valuable in the moment. I think
>> he had a real program in mind the first two years, but since Novermber 94,
>> only opportunism remains
>
>The only part of Clinton's program that he has failed to implement
>is the destruction of Social Security -- and who knows, he may do
>it yet. The tasks of the left are hopeless as long as so many people
>see the enemy as well intentioned but weak.
>

>Carrol

Wasn't Clinton's health care reform well intentioned at least in a limited sens? Admittedly it had many problems, but if one really wanted to get universal care then some compromises seemed necessary. A single payer system would have been impossible. Clinton is despicable in many ways, but why not credit his adminstration with at least one legitimate attempt at progressive reform that would have done some good.

Jacob