A Modest Challenge

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Nov 17 10:37:06 PST 1999

"Jeffrey St. Clair" wrote:

> The Michigan barbarians on the jury who convicted Nate Abraham were largely white, middle class "liberal" women. Four of them were school-teachers. These people are a much bigger threat to the civil liberties of this nation than the few hundred members of the Michigan militia, who've received acres of newsprint and who've been used to scare up so much money by liberal and "progressive" groups.

I agree. But this is not what the *original* debate was about. That concerned whether "the left" (such as it is) should make a special effort to reach militia men. That debate has apparently been settled and all agree that Cockburn was wrong, since now jsc is content with arguing the minimal case that militia men are not an important menace. With that I agree. Clinton is a far worse menace to individual freedoms then all the militia men combined.

Carrol