Sweet Home Alabama (RE: A Modest Challenge

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Wed Nov 17 15:28:13 PST 1999

> "Oh, they must be racists, they're defending Wallace!" Of course,
> nothing could be further from the truth, they were longhairs who grew up
with
> blacks and got the shit kicked out of them for their appearance and their
radical
> views--including views on gun control that might even win the
> endorsement of Katha. More later.

Definately say more on Lynyrd Skynyrd, since it raises an interesting question if they were radicals. Most folks who hear "Sweet Home Alabama" take it as a defense of Wallace and a tell-off of liberals like Neil Young, both liberals and conservatives who sing it. . . .

I'd like to know more about Skynyrd too. And what about my absolute fave, The Band? One of their first big numbers was "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down." If anybody thinks they're rightist, I'll drop some lyrics on you.

mbs