Skynyrd

Jeffrey St. Clair sitka at home.com
Thu Nov 18 07:28:09 PST 1999

I never said that "SWA" was any thing more than a slapback at Neil. "Slightly melodramatic?" Young's *Alabama* is the grand guignol of 70s protest-rock. Even so Sweet Home Alabama was written in an afternoon as a kind of party song. It was never intented to be put on an LP. (And, by the way, most of the band hails from Florida; none come from Alabama.) If you want to get an idea of Skynyrd's politics listen to the Ballad of Curtis Loew, Saturday Night Special or Four Wall of Railford.