Alex Cockburn writes....

Nathan Newman nathan.newman at yale.edu
Wed Nov 17 20:07:34 PST 1999

Actually, I lose respect for Cockburn by the week. First, he launches a rather ill-mannered attack on Katha Pollitt, partly based on private discussions they may have had. Now he is surfing LBO for quickly dashed off thoughts people may have posted here. It shows a lack of respect by Cockburn for a space where a lot of us work out ideas without the formal constraints of a formal writing venue. It is nice to see folks like Doug, Katha and others casually writing here, but that will end if folks like Cockburn act as if everything said here should be held up to the same scrutiny as a written article.

I organized to bring Cockburn to my undergraduate college way back when because i admired his wit and writing, but he seems to be descending into a mess of inter-left feuds and disrepectful behavior towards supposed allies.

It's sad to see a once useful part of the movement become a liability.

-- Nathan Newman