Alex Cockburn writes....

Patrick Bond pbond at wn.apc.org
Thu Nov 18 00:46:23 PST 1999

Not in South Africa. There are very few voices from the left-left given any mass-media credence here, and one of them -- Cockburn -- pipes up on the main radio news programme (like NPR's Morning Edition) every Wednesday at 6:45AM for five minutes, reading chunks of his Nation columns. It's an incredible breath of fresh air blowing through the suffocating ideological media dust he would term "coerced harmony."

Russell, we can agree on this at least, comrade?

(PS: Our first-ever, militant-particularlist demo at the WB office in Pretoria -- and then a 5-star hotel afterwards where the res rep was meeting his Lesotho dam co-financiers -- went extremely well yesterday, joined as it was not only by municipal workers, students and greens, but by Jubilee 2000 activists from nearly a dozen other South countries.)