women?feminism?

Katha Pollitt kpollitt at thenation.com
Thu Nov 18 09:46:28 PST 1999

Re Satanic day care panic. I think it's worth mentioning that the Satanic stuff was not how the panics started. In the mcMartin, amirault and kelly Michaels cases, in fact in all the cases I've read about, the first allegations were quite ordinary: a teacher touched a child's genitals while changing a diaper, stuff like that. It was only as the accusations proliferated, with kids being pressured and manipulated by therapists and police, that the charges got wild as the kids started saying anything, to get the adults off their back. But you can see (well, I can see) why someone might believe that the original accusations were true -- but that the later ones were not. ie: where there's smoke there's fire. And in fact, in some of these cases it seems likely there WAS fire -- abuse in the family.

Also, Charles, ingenious as was your riff on daycare centers and corporate capitalism, the centers in the daycare cases were small, local, family-run affairs, where the directors had roots in the community.

there was one case in England (forget name, as usual) of a sex-abuse panic. It was sort of like the Wenatchie case here: a whole small town of working class parents accused of molesting dozens of kids.

Katha