booms & social movements

Michael Perelman michael at ecst.csuchico.edu
Thu Nov 18 10:18:09 PST 1999

On the campus, I can see a tight link between booms and social movement. With a real boom -- I don't think we have one yet -- students become confident. They choose majors that are nonutilitarian. They're more ripe for social protests.

Today's students are scared and confused. They huddle together in majors such as business or management information systems -- the big growth major on our campus today.

Some time ago, we discussed the Kerner Commission's conclusion that improving times were a major contributory factor to the urban uprisings of the time. So Alan Greenspan stands as a major defender of the status quo in still another way. --

Michael Perelman Economics Department California State University michael at ecst.csuchico.edu Chico, CA 95929 530-898-5321 fax 530-898-5901