booms & social movements

James Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Thu Nov 18 14:48:15 PST 1999

On Thu, 18 Nov 1999 10:18:09 -0800 Michael Perelman <michael at ecst.csuchico.edu> writes:
>On the campus, I can see a tight link between booms and social
>movement. With a
>real boom -- I don't think we have one yet -- students become
>confident. They
>choose majors that are nonutilitarian. They're more ripe for social
>protests.

The student generation of the 1930s was prone to protests too but that was hardly due to their postgraduation prospects being all that great. I think it more accurate that the protest potential for students is greatest either in boom periods like the '60s where one can feel that one can protest without permanently jeopardizing one's future career prospects or in really bad economic times like the '30s where one's career prospects will be bleak regardless of what one does during college. What one might call garden-variety type recessions seem to do the most to dampen student protests since students calculate that engaging in such protests may well undermine their career prospects upon graduation.

Jim F.

___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj.