SZ

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Nov 18 11:16:50 PST 1999

Katha Pollitt wrote:

>Gee doug -- do you need Zizek for that?

No, but he helps.

Actually I was using "Zizekian" as a shorthand for taking collective fantasy seriously as a political category. That applies to the day care scandals and to the body-part thieving stories that Maureen mentioned - I don't think the kinds of political analyses our more hardheaded members subscribe to are up to the task. I'd even say that about a lot of the discourse around "globalization" - which posits a pure Ur-space that's been invaded by "outside" forces. Chalking these things up to mass hysteria is the beginning of an explanation, not the end of one.

Doug