difference feminism

Rakesh Bhandari bhandari at phoenix.princeton.edu
Thu Nov 18 12:00:20 PST 1999

Dear Katha, After learning of the brouhaha over your book at amazon.com, I decided to revist it, and the first essay I re-read was the one about difference feminism, wittily titled "Marooned on Gilligan's Island", referring here to Carol Gilligan. What struck me this time around is your reminder that perhaps the most sophisticated of the difference theorists Nancy Chodorow does not sentimentalize the gender duality of 'relational' women and autonomous men--indeed you note that she argues that the traditional mothering (mother only child rearing) reuslts in 'sexual inequality, misogyny and hostility between mothers and daughters, who, like sons, desire independence but have a much harder time achieving it.' Of course while you underline the critical nature of Chodorow's theory (shared by Dorothy Dinnerstein? Isaac Balbus?), you go on to argue that there is no firm empirical basis for the claim that relational women/autonomous men are the norm. My question for you however is whether you accept Chodorow's causal claim that traditional mothering does tend to create some kind of gender duality (Sudhir Kakar has tried to lay out a similar theory for the Indian family structure which may as well falsely generalize behaviors found in the middle class). As I remember it, Chodorow is not arguing for difference feminism, as Gilligan may be but for the reorganization of child rearing, right? Yours, Rakesh