[Fwd: Re: Larry pratt on Warsaw ghetto Jews and Guns]

Katha Pollitt kpollitt at thenation.com
Thu Nov 18 14:43:42 PST 1999

Max Sawicky wrote:

> I saw "Das Boot" and could empathize with
> the submariners, notwithstanding the cause
> for which they nominally fought (nominally
> in the sense that in the movie, they do not
> seem at all involved in German national
> war aims). The crucial scene is when, as
> they all face death at the bottom of the
> ocean in a disabled craft, the protagonist
> blubbers like a baby about his simple delusion
> that this was what he thought it meant to
> become a man.
>
> I told you I was a sentimentalist.

Yes, you are. My father loved Das Boot because "all the Germans die." In Germany I'll bet it was popular because it portrayed the German war effort without mentioning jews, concentration camps, mass murder of civilians, invading all those other countries etc.

I found it kinda boring, I confess. Sort of like being on a submarine must be.

Katha