[Fwd: Re: Guns etc]

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Fri Nov 19 07:09:39 PST 1999

> From Jeffrey St. Clair <sitka at home.com> Thu Nov 18 15:54:20 1999
>
> I think the move to restrict and prohibit them is a greater
> danger. Look at all the sentencing enhancements associated with
> gun possession and look at who pays the price: it's used by
> prosecutors to keep young black males in prison for longer and
> longer periods; it's used for 3 strikes your out; etc. It's also
> used politically against groups and individuals the government
> doesn't like--could be us one day--ie,, Waco and Move (interesting
> how charges of "guns" and "child abuse" were used as pretext for
> both infernos).

That reminds me of the "It's got to be good, look who is against it?" argument. :-)

By the way, I caught the tail end of a story on NPR yesterday about how the guy who drafted (?) California's "3 Strikes" law was now trying to basically have it gutted and/or fixed. There was a bit of interview where he said that it had all kinds of unintended consequences (like petty criminals being in jail for 25 years to life, oops) and that the big mistake they made was not requiring that the third strike be a "serious" crime. The followup mentioned that supporters were disapointed that "it didn't have the deterrent effect predicted" ... "social science" at it's finest?

He's trying to get his changes on the ballot ...

/jordan