[Fwd: Re: Guns etc]

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Fri Nov 19 07:25:10 PST 1999

> From Katha Pollitt <kpollitt at thenation.com> Thu Nov 18 14:42:26 1999
>
> Yes, as I said, in private, we both accept that guns are very
> dangerous (which Alex and Jordan do not); agree about what we
> would do personally (not have any or let our kids play with those
> who do); and differ on what the law should be -- although,interestingly,
> you haven't actually asked me what I think the law should be.

How did you get the idea that I don't think guns are dangerous? Just yesterday, Doug posted some CDC findings on lethal and non-lethal firarms injuries where they noted that most of the non-lethal injuries are self-inflicted accidents, typically in hunting or cleaning situations. There's no doubt that they can be used in ways that you can't take back (unlike the "thinking out loud" we do here).

But our difference is that I see the "danger of guns" in the user rather than in the gun itself.

As for your kids, if they are anything like all the kids I knew growing up, simply forbiding them from playing in situations where they might encounter a gun might leave you surprised at the outcome. The fact is, they are more than likely to encounter a gun in spite of your efforts; I hope they do it in the company of one of their friends who _has_ been taught a thing or two about respect for the power of firearms and knows what to do when they encounter one. Gun education is up there with sex education with kids: if you don't want them to learn wrong, you ought to teach them yourself or get someone who is qualified to teach them properly. Think of the kinds of (informal) "learning" about sex that kids encounter and then apply it to guns.

What I *do* think is dangerous (thanks for asking) is unsubstantiated fear posing as rational criticism.

/jordan