Anti-semitic, anti-immigrant

Michael Perelman michael at ecst.csuchico.edu
Fri Nov 19 09:56:58 PST 1999

I suspect that more than pure hysteria and even more than the force of propaganda contributes to the rise of your irrationality. In the case of antisemitism, the Jewish person combined an element of strangeness with the hard face of capitalism. For example, in the South Jewish people commonly ran the general store, which was a major source of credit. Interest was high and no doubt seemed unfair. The Jew, in effect, put a face on capitalism. Since the Jew represented the capitalism that people saw in their everyday life, it did not take much of a stretch to identify them with the highest levels of capitalism. The existence of some prominent Jewish bankers made that perspective easier, especially because the Jewish bankers tended to give their own name to their business. Except for Morgan, the typical non-Jewish banker would use a nonpersonal name, such as the First Bank of Whatever.

It was easier, I suspect, to identify the source of one's fears with the strangeness of the Jewish conspiracy rather than realizing that very similar people, except for their class position, were pulling far more strings than the Jewish banker. --

Michael Perelman Economics Department California State University michael at ecst.csuchico.edu Chico, CA 95929 530-898-5321 fax 530-898-5901