[Fwd: Re: Anti-semitic, anti-immigrant]

Katha Pollitt kpollitt at thenation.com
Fri Nov 19 11:23:04 PST 1999

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Katha Pollitt wrote:
>
> >Without Christianity, I don't think anti-semitism would exist.
>
> So why is there anti-Semitism in Japan and Malaysia?
>
> Doug

Now Doug! i didn't say only Christians were anti-semites. I said that the roots of anti-semitism lay in Christianity. Once Anti-semitism came into existence it became connected with all sorts of other things --Hitler, after all, was not a big Christian! --and can be mobilized by all sorts of people for all sorts of purposes. But we were discussing the ORIGINS of anti-semitism, not its prevalence.

Katha