Anti-semitic, anti-immigrant

Katha Pollitt kpollitt at thenation.com
Fri Nov 19 18:28:12 PST 1999

Alessandro -- If the romans gave the Jews a hard time in First Cent. bc wasn't it because the Jews rejected state polytheism and were also making trouble trying to get Palestine out from under rome? That's not really anti-semitism, or anti-Judaism as we are thinking about it. The romans didn't like anybody (christians for example) who exempted themselves from the state religion , which could accomodate all sorts of new ethnic divinities but not those who rejected the basic roman understanding of multiple gods all telling you to fulfill basic civic obligations (to pay taxes, play your part in civic functions, accept the Roman state as underwritten by the gods etc). Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think the Romans thought the Jews were a special magically evil people set apart from normal humanity and responsible for plagues, child murder, natural disasters etc. They were just pains in the neck.

I don't understand your point about nomadism. In the first Century BC, the Jews had their own homeland, albeit it was a Roman province. They were no more nomadic than the Greeks, or the Romans themselves.

Katha

does anyone know a good book about "anti=semitism" in the pre-christian world? Now I'm fascinated.

Katha