Conspiracy Theories

michael perelman michael at ecst.csuchico.edu
Fri Nov 19 20:30:49 PST 1999

Chip Berlet wrote:

> But I think to claim that the US government is "the main purveyor of
> conspiracy theories in the world today" is a dubious assertion. A major
> source perhaps, but I am reluctant to get into this dualist either/or stuff.
> There is some stiff competition.

ok. I don't have any data to back up my suspicion.

> Also, is your point that since the US is a source of conspiracism we should
> then ignore other sources of conspiracism?

No. Not at all.

> I would be interested to have you list some of the main conspiracy theories
> peddled by the US government, as opposed to ideological positions with which
> you disagree.

The assassination of the Pope, the Sandinistas drug smuggling operation, rumors about capitalism in Indonesia prior to the coup, Judy Bari's self-inflicted bombing ...... just to mention a few that come to mind. I suspect that you could expand on it as much as anybody else. -- Michael Perelman Economics Department California State University Chico, CA 95929

Tel. 530-898-5321 E-Mail michael at ecst.csuchico.edu