Conspiracy theories again

michael perelman michael at ecst.csuchico.edu
Sat Nov 20 09:23:15 PST 1999

Every once and a while, an accident allows was to get a glimpse of the dangers policies of the state. Without the break-in of the FBI office at Media, Pennsylvania, the idea of the cointelpro program would have seemed to be the product of a left-wing fantasy. Again, through an accident in history, we learned of the efforts to assassinate Fidel Castro. Today, evidence of the Echelon program is accumulating.

At the same time, we know that many of these seemingly omnipotent organizations are run by bumblers. More often than not, people like Timothy McVeigh or the Unabomber are caught the accident or by an informant.

Nonetheless, the information about activities such as conintelpro give the impression of omnipotence, which give conspiracy theorists fuel for their fantasies. -- Michael Perelman Economics Department California State University Chico, CA 95929

Tel. 530-898-5321 E-Mail michael at ecst.csuchico.edu