Carroll Quigley

Chip Berlet cberlet at igc.org
Sat Nov 20 11:42:13 PST 1999

Hi,

Look, the short answer is that I think Quigley's theories are stupid. There are a number of structures that unite British and US ruling cirlces, but they do not control the world in a mechanical way, as suggested by Quigley, and hyperbolized by his right wing admirers. This obsession with elite planning groups in a conspiratorial mode is unhealthy. Ask Holly Sklar if she thinks the Trilaterial Commission is a secret conspiracy and she will rip you into little pieces (rhetorically). Elite planning groups bring together people with power, the have no inherent power. They compete with each other. Different factions of the ruling elites debate policies and struggle with each other to shape policies. The conspriaicst analysis of ruling elites feeds people into the political right, which scapegoats bad people, rather than criticizing bad systems and institutions. Read C. Wright Mills, G. William Domhoff, and Holly Sklar...not Quigley.

-Chip Berlet

----- Original Message ----- From: bill fancher <fancher at pacbell.net> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Wednesday, November 17, 1999 5:12 PM Subject: Re: Carroll Quigley

> > Hi,
> >
> > Are we talking about Quigley the professor, Quigley the author of books
on
> > the "Anglo-American Establishment" or Quigley, the icon of right wing
> > conspiracism as reinterpreted by Skoussen and others?
> >
> > :-)
>
> I was talking about Quigley the professor of history at Georgetown
> School of Foreign Service, who taught the required course on "Evolution
> of Civilizations" there for many years and thus influenced a good chunk
> of the present foreign service establishment in the U.S. You know, the
> author of "the most useful periodization of the evolution of historical
> civilizations", as Samuel Huntington claims in "The Clash of
> Civilizations". The one whose work the American Historical Review said
> was on "sounder ground" than that of Toynbee. That one.
>

> > Carroll Quigley's 1966 Tragedy and Hope saw US history after the Civil
War