RealNetworks

paula laflame at mindspring.com
Sat Nov 20 13:46:45 PST 1999

When I first heard about the RN invasion of privacy thing I thought it was terrible. Then I remembered that I am always reading things about companies who are selling or using tech that promises to do just what I believe RN is being accused of doing.

This company is promising even more invasive tracking is seems: http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/991115/ny_learn2__2.html

Here's what the SEC is doing: THE SEC is seeking software and network application developers and vendors to create the so-called "sniffer" that would monitor public areas of the Net. In addition to Web sites and Usenet newsgroups, other areas of surveillance include listservs, a software program that administers mailing lists, and public discussion areas. The monitoring system would be created "off-site" so as not to lead back to the SEC. "We are considering automating some of the searching of the Internet that the staff currently does manually," stated John Heine, an SEC spokesman. The announcement to secure the services of a software vendor was made Nov. 2 through a procurement advertisement in Commerce Business Daily, a newspaper published by the Department of Commerce, which lists notices of proposed government procurement actions, contract awards, sales of government property and other procurement information. ********************

There are countless other examples out in the business press of this kind of activity. I have wondered if RealNetworks left-leaning activities are the reason the financial press put the highlight on them. Anyone know anything about this?