Is Buchanan an antisemite?

Nathan Newman nathan.newman at yale.edu
Sun Nov 21 13:54:34 PST 1999

Fair enough and I understand your distinction. Pete Wilson in California was an opportunist who used the racism and xenophobia of parts of the white population to build political power, supporting Prop 187 and Prop 209 and building a Presidential run on that legacy of hate. Most people who knew Wilson's career thought he was personally not particularly prejudiced (in fact had been an early supporter of affirmative action as a mayor) but was using hate for political advantage. For this reason, I despise Wilson as one of the lowest beasts possible and hope he rots in hell.

On the other hand, I think Buchanan believes almost everything he says and dislikes everyone he claims to dislike. Which is why I have greater respect for him than most of the opportunistic haters. It also makes Buchanan more dangerous, since the haters of the world know the real article and gravitate to them.

-- Nathan Newman