Butler on Spivak (was SZ)

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Nov 21 14:26:16 PST 1999

Dennis R Redmond wrote:

> I think it's more like she's practicing a little solidarity here -- not
> giving in to the tendency, which our bourgeois press just loves, to see
> radicals waste their time in self-immolating catfights, rather than
> focusing on the issues. When it comes to naming names, Adornic discretion
> is often the better part of Leninist valor.

Then I'll specify the nature of the dishonesty. She is lying. The critics she is replying to, or the conservative marxists she is attacking, don't exist. She has made them up out of whole cloth (like a Goebbels press release) merely for the sake of knocking these scarecrows over.

The only way she could prove that she is not lying -- or even create the faint probability she is not lying -- is by naming the critics and citing their texts. Actually, I quite seriusly suspect that she is lying. The salary she gets at California would be worth a few lies.

Carrol