Butler on Spivak (was SZ)

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Nov 21 14:46:54 PST 1999

Carrol Cox wrote:

>Then I'll specify the nature of the dishonesty. She is lying. The critics she
>is replying to, or the conservative marxists she is attacking, don't exist.

When I heard her delivering that paper at the Rethinking Marxism conference in December 1996 I had the same reaction. "Who the hell is she talking about?," I asked myself. Conversations, personal and electronic, with many Marxists over the next 3 years have convinced me that there are plenty of people like that. She defined the target too narrowly, though, by confining it to Marxists (though on re-reading it, I see she also referred to a "Left") - there are plenty of liberals and leftists of various stripes who entirely fit the bill. How often have you heard the "class not race" mantra? How often have you heard that talking about gender and sexuality is a diversion from "real" struggles? Haven't you any experience of the aesthetic and moral conservatism of a lot of self-identified Marxists?

Here's a bit from Butler's Rethinking Marxism talk. I think this is substantially identical to what was published in NLR, but I haven't done the line-by-line comparison. The end of this excerpt is similar to what I've heard Adolph Reed say, and no one would ever accuse him of being a "postmodernist."