Mistress Judith (was Re: Butler on Spivak)

Katha Pollitt kpollitt at thenation.com
Mon Nov 22 08:20:45 PST 1999

Well, kelley -- let's say it's true that slender exercised women are generally regarded as more attractive by both men and women. let's say that martha Nussbaum IS showing off her great bod in NYT. What would be the appropriate intervention by one who wished to resist that? Falling in love with an ugly fat guy (or, conversely, insisting that one's lovers meet strictures equal to those placed on women?)? Eating a big box of chocolates? Donning long black dresses at age 35 and giving up sex at menopause, as recommended by Germaine Greer?

I don't know how old you are, but I am cheered to see a woman older than me who looks good on the basis of a few mornings at the gym (and hormone replacement therapy, I'll bet) -- no plastic surgery (so far as we know!). Martha N is (to my eye) not especially pretty, and she looks awfully uptight, but she's got us all talking about her brains and her body too! (interestingly, in Annie leibowitz"s 'women," martha N is photographed as an Upper East Side matron, in conservative clothes with cup of tea in fussy rich-old-lady living room.)

That said, I certainly agree with you that contemporary beauty standards are oppressive and restrictive. Hard to imagine them loosening up either -- don't think we'll ever see heavy women (or men), gray hair, wrinkles, flab and "puffing" up stairs as cute.

For all people talk about "youth culture," people are regarded as potentially attractive for a much longer time today than in past. In Rosenkavalier, the Marschallin is having what she knows is her last love affair-- at 32! the gym is the price. Except for you and me :).

katha