Left anti-semites , Marxist Minstrels, and Enver Hoxha, Oh My!

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Mon Nov 22 11:07:45 PST 1999

Angela wrote:
>and if marx also delved into spinoza, would that warrant a >'hmm'?

Sorry,my feeble attempt at a joke. Now LaRouche on J.S. Bach....(hehe)

And on Finkelkraut, Handke and Debray, Angela sez:
>i'm sure it's telling. is this the same finkelraut see below,an excerpt
>from seminar notes on racism in france)? if it >is, it simply confirms
what
>i said about three posts ago: people will find all >manner of ways to
>express what they perceive to be a respectable >form of racism, even when
>they're apparently doing so from an anti-racist >position,>>[ my reading of
Zizek so far is confined to his NLR piece on multiculturalism as a form of liberal racism and his piece in The Nation during the bombing, what is your take on this Zizekian position Angela or Doug or anyone else. Or how about a search button at the archives so I can pull the posts myself on the NLR excerpt fron the last Zizek book- Michael]>> as in his
>comments on the "Germanic guilty conscience" >when responding to handke's
>defense of those plucky serbs. (a side note: as >far as i know, debray and
>finkelraut went for each other's throats over >whether or not to support
the
>NATO bombing of yugoslavia, with finkelraut >for. is that right?)>>[ "Yes,
he did." Michael]>> but i'm
>not familiar with finkelraut. does he do stuff on >levinas or
omesuch?>>[ "Believe so"-Michael]>>

Since when does one have to agree with the politics of an author to derive some benefit from their work? Otherwise, I'd stop reading say the usually vile The New Republic or even The Nation in it's occasional Clintonian moments as during the impeachment fracas. Finkelkraut was a May '68'er, now like say the authors of the critique of Foucault, Luc Ferry and Alain Renault, "French Philosophers of the Sixties:An Essay on Anti-humanism" and other work on Heidegger and Nietzsche that look like they're worth a look see, he is what appears to me to be a neo-liberal that neo-con Mark Lilla of the Public Interest( New York Review of Books editors favorite along with Tony Judt, on matters European) would more heartily recommend than I. Still give a look on the book on "negationism"

On Handke, I've read a couple of his novels and enjoyed 'em. Only know of his Serb apologetics (and no, I wasn't in favor of the NATO bombings...) from the New Republic and the last issue of Telos I saw which had a todo over Kosovo organized around a petition circulated around the French intelligentsia. Also the paleo-con monthly,"Chronicles," has mentioned him and Debray(!!!) with favor.

Lastly, re: Obscurity, Butlerian or otherwise. Back in the late 70's Telos editor, Paul Piccone, defended his," Artificial Negativity," thesis and it's high level of abstraction, and the journals (simplified, the New Left and the the civil rights movements were manufactured attempts to debureaucratize a overly rigid, One Dimensional system and polity that had been totally colonized by the logic of capital and the culture industry.) by saying that this prevented the State from appropriating the insights of the American acolytes of the Frankfurters to further the "iron cage" and make us all souless automatons in a totally administered world.( Gee, guess Paul Weyrich ought to read Telos,I was just trying to contact a govt. agency bureaucrat at the Theodor Adorno Ca.state building, this morning... Sorry, another attempt at humor..)

Oh, and Adolph Reed, contributed a couple of pieces to Telos in this vein about affirmative action and the civil rights movement. It is where I first saw his work and am on my way to find his latest book now.

Michael Pugliese P.S. to Doug, do you still have that run of Telos for sale. Masochist me would be interested in filling in my collection.

M.P.