Butler on Spivak (was SZ)

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Nov 22 17:50:38 PST 1999

kelley wrote:

>oh and the sparticans or whatever....what kind of marxists were/are they.
>i know they're connected to the wanker that doesn't like doug --some
>exchange on doug's website re his book. but what's the scoop with
>sparticans in terms of marxist history.

Sparticists. Particularly wacked-out breed of Trot, broke off from the SWP sometime in the 1960s I think. Their paper, Workers Vanguard, used to be very good when it was edited by Jan Norden - if you overlooked the obligatory Trot rant, usually the last 2-3 paragraphs of every story. But they purged Norden for the sin of "Pabloism of the second mobilization," whatever that is, and now the paper isn't very good. They're probably the most disruptive sect of all, going to meetings and denouncing everyone else as a wanker. They re-publish their enemies' attacks on them in a series called "Hate Trotskyism, Hate The Spartacist League." You're referring here to the hilarious Robert "Bob" Malecki, the idiot savant of sectarian Marxism; he's got a website at <http://home.bip.net/malecki/>. He's not formally a Spartacist, I think, but he's a fellow traveller, and puts most of their stuff up on his website.

Doug