[Fwd: Re: [Fwd: Re: [Fwd: Re: Mistress Judith (was Re: Butler on Spivak)]]]

Katha Pollitt kpollitt at thenation.com
Tue Nov 23 08:03:34 PST 1999

Carl Remick wrote:

> > >A gay friend of mine said about ten years ago that he
> > >was always astonished at how heterosexual men just assumed they could be
> > >fat and slovenly and women would go for them anyway. Maybe that's
> > >changing.
> >

> >according to the research done on college studients it is...slowly. women
> >*still* say that a sense of humor and character are most important.
>
> Er, and that's to be discouraged?
>
> Carl

Not in my view. I would rather see men become more like women in this regard. They would be much happier -- after all, almost all men settle down with women who don't fit the beauty standard, because almost no women do! And think of all those middleaged guys who only go out with much younger women, and then complain the women don't know who Spiro Agnew was and want to have babies right away!

Don't know many guys on the loose over forty who date women their own age, though. Went to an academic party last year that consisted almost entirely of middle=aged male profs and their young sweeties. It was like a father-daughter convention.

Katha