college prexies big bux

James Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Tue Nov 23 09:55:56 PST 1999

On Tue, 23 Nov 1999 10:38:21 -0600 Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> writes:

>James Farmelant wrote:
>
>> . . . I guess the day is long gone when college presidents
>> were picked on the basis of their contributions to scholarship
>> or on their academic visions. Veblen would not have been
>> surprised.
>
>Jim there is a minor clash between your last two sentences. The
>first sys there's been a change. The second says it's always been
>like that.

I am not entirely sure. I think there was a period (around the middle of this century when many colleges did pick presidents on the basis if their scholarly attainments and their academic visions (whether good or bad). But the time has long since past. I don't think that Veblen would be too surprised by what univeristies and colleges are doing now a days with their focus on the bottom line, their corporate partnerships and the like. All very remniscient of collge life in his own day.

Jim F.

___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj.