black nationalism reflux

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Nov 23 15:26:41 PST 1999

Rakesh:
>Third, I always supported autonomous minority or women's groups but argued
>that it would be best if they were organized within broader based labor
>or communist organizations, not as separate congresses.

The fact of the matter is that we do _not_ have mass-based left-wing labor or communist organizations in the United States today. So, if you want black radicals to organize themselves in such a context, you have to _first create the context in question_. We make history, under the circumstances not of our making -- as the Old Man said. There is no point in carping from the sideline, especially since the BRC cannot possibly act in a context that doesn't even exist! Bring the mass communist party into existance first, and _if_ black radicals do not join it, then and only then you might criticize them.

>Sixth, you continue to sidestep the problem of the miserable record of the
>Vietnamese Communists in power (have you read Kolko's book?); thus you
>show no interest in a non apologestic history of the Vietnamese CP that
>will allow us to make sense, instead of be surprised, by this record.
>Indeed you dismiss those who were imprisoned or harrassed as tiny
> sects, 'ultraleftist' being a justification for the oppression of anyone
>so labeled.

The mixed record of the CPs, not just in Vietnam but all over the world, is the record of the weakness of the workers of the world & the strength of capital, period. Only workers of the world -- their united power, passionate embrace of democracy, hatred of imperialism, etc. -- can force the parties that act in their names to truly represent them. There is no point in apologizing for or criticizing the Vitnamese CP from our vantage point, is there? What difference does it make? Neither our praise nor condemnation changes the past. Our first priority at this point in history is to overcome the feeling of TINA, especially among the workers of the country we live in.

Yoshie