White Leftists, Feminist Guys, & Affirmative Action (was Re: ignore this, it's about women and sexism ...)

Katha Pollitt kpollitt at thenation.com
Wed Nov 24 12:44:58 PST 1999

I don't know, Yoshie -- you write as if some guy saying something you or I or kelley might find sexist discourages other women from participating and that's a big problem. But do you have any evidence for that? The great thing about e mail is you can just delete the posters you find TOO exasperating, and chat with those you find at least some common ground or level of congeniality with. the nature of the medium is so remote -- I think it's actually a good way to grapple with ideas that would be very upsetting if they were held by a friend, or a colleague. I've certainly been on e mail lists (not this one of course!) with people I wouldn't be able to be in a group with, or the same room with.

And let's not forget, after a mere day of being walloped for his posts re May=December, Brett apologized! It was GOOD that he said those things, because then we could talk about them. ( He made me think too, btw.) A sexual slur is one thing -- but a sexist argument (that is, an argument I think is sexist)? I'd rather hear it and discuss it.

Katha