[Fwd: Re: ignore this, it's about women and sexism ...]

Katha Pollitt kpollitt at thenation.com
Thu Nov 25 07:46:17 PST 1999

Ah, so asking the question is "a moment of recurrent exasperation." She has arguments, her critics just lose their tempers! I see why Prof Butler has lately taken up Freud. (btw, shouldn't that be "a recurrent moment of exasperation?")

When Prof B goes to the gynecologist -- which I assume she does -- is it because she wants to "perform" being a woman? Or is it that she needs a pap smear? If I perform my gender differently, can I trade in worrying about breast cancer for worrying about my prostate?

Katha