[Fwd: Re: ignore this, it's about women and sexism ...]

kelley oudies at flash.net
Thu Nov 25 08:45:51 PST 1999

> When Prof B goes to the gynecologist -- which I assume she does -- is
>it because she wants to "perform" being a woman? Or is it that she needs
>a pap smear? If I perform my gender differently, can I trade in
>worrying about breast cancer for worrying about my prostate?

no. but that doesn't mean that gender isn't performed in the doctor's office and every where else for that matter. recognizing that doesn't mean that i or anyone else is saying that we can or should ignore sex based biological differences that *make* a difference in terms of health care. but that's *all* they should make a difference about. but that is not what happens. and the anxiety exhibited here over erasure of those differences exhibits, i think, this weird fear het men have that we're advocating androgyny or some such nonsense. that we're going to rip away from them all those delightful little differences in behavior, dress, flirting, etc that are apparently so important. who says that?

my mother tells me, btw, that brain research is showing that younger stroke patients arent' exhibiting the differences. but what having a womb or a prostate has to do with the majority of my life or yours or men's shouldn't matter altogether that much. it does not meant htere will be no differences if we undermine the status quo. it does mean that, i hope, there will be no inequalities in the distribution of 'social goods' based on those differences. it's really that simple.

kelley