General status of gender relations vs. Quibbles

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Thu Nov 25 08:56:35 PST 1999

Kelley:
>>different kinds & degrees of rain & snow than others (for instance, compare
>>Japanese with English), and to describe this kind of difference,
>
>that's an odd claim. english uses adjectives to describe differences in
>snow and so we have a ton of phrases to describe different kinds of snow.
>whoever came up with that one circulated a big goof based on a
>misunderstanding of how english works with separate adjectives.

Now, I'd call it a quibble, nay, a perfect _cavil_. My point is simply about the distinction between the "social/discursive constructions" that involve oppression and those that do not.

That said, the difference here lies not only between nouns & adjectives. The language makes meanings in social use, in humans making transactions (affective, cognitive, practical, etc.) with not only other humans _but also the natural & social world_. You live in Florida -- how "meaningful" for you are different names for & fine distinctions of snow? Are they as practically meaningful to you as they are to residents of Aomori, Japan? I suppose that you don't take this "social/discursive" construction business too seriously when your polemical urge masters your brains.

Yoshie