Mugger writes...

Katha Pollitt kpollitt at thenation.com
Thu Nov 25 13:30:46 PST 1999

Maybe I'd be more upset at my LBO posts showing up in NYP if they were personal in nature,or poorly expressed, but as is it's not important to me. True, it's free copy for the masochistic Mugger, who seems psychologically compelled to give my jabs at his ghastly paper ever more space in his column -- as I said, and he quoted, some people can't stand rejection!

At least Mugger quotes my actual words. Unlike Alex, who usually has me saying what he likes and sources it to anonymous third parties, or to himself, or no one. This week,Alex fills up those pesky NYP column inches by publishing nasty reminiscences of me from someone named Dennis Perrin, who's apparently still fuming because he met me at a book party and I didn't automatically agree with everything he said. Whatever that was.

Truly pathetic.

Katha