Anne Fausto-Sterling: How Many Sexes Are There?

Roger Odisio rodisio at igc.org
Sat Nov 27 09:17:28 PST 1999

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> I have already offered, as evidence for my argument, research findings by
> Stephen Jay Gould (evolutionary biologist) & Thomas Laqueur (historian of
> science). Now I am going to provide an article by Anne Fausto-Sterling
> (geneticist & professor of medical science). Those who believe in the
> eternal necessity of the two-sex model are arguing against three
> scientists. What evidence do they have? None.

Yoshie,

Your post of Fausto-Sterling is a critique of Carrol, not me. That is, it's a rebuttal of his contention that it was equally possible to make a biological argument that there is is only one sex, as that there is two. The idea that there is only one sex was all I was criticizing. That's why I called this thread "only one sex?".

RO