seattle

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Tue Nov 30 17:09:37 PST 1999

See my previous post on the Reuters story.

So far the only untoward activity reported is a story about broken windows at a McDonald's during the "Frankenfood" demo (also reported by Henwood), and the alleged assault on an automobile.

The police chief is saying the tear gas and rubber bullets were necessary to clear the street so that "emergency equipment" could get through.

Clinton is being reported as "sympathetic" to the protest. He feels their pain.

best of luck to those on the ground. wish I was there so I could join the walker brigade.

max

-----Original Message----- From: owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com [mailto:owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com]On Behalf Of Marta Russell Sent: Tuesday, November 30, 1999 6:50 PM To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com Subject: Re: seattle

CNN just claimed that protesters pushed the police too far, and violence broke out. What most likely happened was that the police wanted to clear the protesters out of the way and gassed them.

The CNN question to the reporter was "Is any work getting done" in Seattle, and is any productive work being accomplished by the WTO? I would say the protest itself is the best work getting done in Seattle right now.

marta