O Brave New World // Durant & Gibbon

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Oct 2 12:28:59 PDT 1999

Maureen Therese Anderson wrote:

> Michael wrote:
>
> >Believe or not, Durant is a brilliant writer and this is a brilliant
> >series. Nobody believes this, because he was so successfully marketed
>
> Yes well I've heard that Gibbons' Rome-tomes are brilliantly written too,
> but that wouldn't exactly make G. my interpreter of choice on Rome's rise
> and fall. Though think of it: his series would probably make a rockin'
> computer game.

(a) Gibbon is indeed a wonderful writer. And while I don't know his present status among Roman historians, there aren't many historians with such wit -- and his bias against christianity gives me immense reading pleasure.

(b) About Durant. I got a good deal from him (though I can't quite remember what) when I was in high school, but when I glanced at his works some years ago (some relative got the whole history as a book-of-the-month-club dividend or something and gave them to me) I couldn't stand them I'm sorry now I gave them away, because I too rather trust Michael.

Carrol