O Brave New World

Maureen Therese Anderson manders at midway.uchicago.edu
Sat Oct 2 12:40:16 PDT 1999

Michael wrote:

>Believe or not, Durant is a brilliant writer and this is a brilliant
>series. Nobody believes this, because he was so successfully marketed

Yes well I've heard that Gibbons' Rome-tomes are brilliantly written too, but that wouldn't exactly make G. my interpreter of choice on Rome's rise and fall. Though think of it: his series would probably make a rockin' computer game.

But you've been a reliable appraiser so far, so okay next time I'm in the used bookstore I'll dust off one of the Durant tomes and take a look (think I'll pick "The Age of Faith" since I've been thinking about nominalism lately anyway, and besides reading Enlightenment accounts of the Dark Ages is always fun...).

--M