Timor death count appears lower than initial estimates

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Mon Oct 4 06:08:44 PDT 1999

Roger:
>Note to Yoshie: On Lou P.'s marxism list, you posted this same article below
>the words of a person who was saying he thought a serious massacre had
>occurred
>in ET. You posted it without saying a word, i.e., without even saying you
>thought it was a response to his point (which I can only infer you did). Is
>that what you think this article is, a rebuttal of some sort? If so, a
>rebuttal of what?

Because it's always interesting when they report something that's slightly out of keeping with the rest of what's been said in the media.

BTW, Angela is quite right when she says numbers -- whether high or low -- don't determine a political position in the end:
>i'm a little astonished that people think talking about sheer
>numbers of deaths is ever the index that would and could decide a political
>position or an analysis.

How (and even whether or not) X (be it Somalia, Yugoslavia, or East Timor) is reported in the mass media (regrettably) seems to make a difference even in leftist minds, however.

Yoshie