AFL-CIO retreats from WTO confrontation

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 5 14:45:03 PDT 1999

>>[CR:]So, the only significant voice against free trade remains Buchanan.
>
>[DH:] And does that ever give you cause to think that maybe opposition to
>"free trade" is, as the econometricians say, misspecified?

Nope. So long as sovereign nation-states constitute the basis of trade policy, labor law and environmental regulation and so long as this remains (at least nominally) a democracy -- I will continue to think the arena of national politics holds the greatest potential for meaningful progressive action.

Carl