AFL-CIO retreats from WTO confrontation

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Oct 5 15:26:22 PDT 1999

Carl Remick wrote:

>Nope. So long as sovereign nation-states constitute the basis of
>trade policy, labor law and environmental regulation and so long as
>this remains (at least nominally) a democracy -- I will continue to
>think the arena of national politics holds the greatest potential
>for meaningful progressive action.

And why oh why has the nation-state - or at least the nation-state you & I live in - proved so fruitless an area for such regulation over the last 20 years? Was it globalization that made Teddy Kennedy & Jimmy Carter deregulate transport? That made Ronnie fire PATCO? That inspired Bill Clinton to let the chainsaws rip in the national forests? It's nice to have someone else out there to blame, but it just ain't true.

Doug