debating libertarians

Paten241 at aol.com Paten241 at aol.com
Wed Oct 6 09:26:48 PDT 1999

In a message dated 10/5/99 11:06:50 PM Pacific Daylight Time, kayak3 at bouldernews.infi.net writes:

<< as anyone on the list debated libertarians? >>

I have had it out with L's once in a formal debate and often on the net. The first problem I have is I consider Libertarianism not so much a political theory as a mental health problem. Having said that they are quite vulnerable, in my experience, in asserting *a free markets* ability to inform social policy. The examples of failure are so ubiquitous you can tie them in knots for hours

They also seem quite perplexed regarding concepts of (personal) freedom when asked to consider Necessity.

It seems it might be timely, in light of recent news stories, to ask the L's about the Markets inability to provide healthcare. The market can't manage to provide either quality or access.

rp