josh glenn (of _hermenaut_) on jedediah purdy

Tom Lehman uswa12 at Lorainccc.edu
Wed Oct 6 10:29:44 PDT 1999

Yep'er Brad, didn't he write War and Peace or was that another guy? Jed probably has heard about Jim Comstock and Bill Blizzard two of the great authors from Jed's neck of the woods. One of them edited and published the West Virginia Hillbilly and the other had something called the Mountain Eagle or something like that. Anyway in their day they both wrote stories asking for foreign aid from Russia for West Virginia; that is before Russia went broke. This idea caught on and became a standard practice among West Virginia mountain politicians. I'm sure you could find hundreds of stories about this quest for Russian foreign aid in any wire service morgue. I don't know if the Russians ever came up with any cash and if they did nobody talked too much about.

The mountain politicians in West Virginia are getting so sincere that they are posting the Ten Commandments all over the place.

I'm sure this adds to your treasury of knowledge,

Tom