AFL-CIO restructuring

JW Mason jwm at econs.umass.edu
Wed Oct 6 13:27:32 PDT 1999

Tom Lehman wrote:

> Call me for a consultation after the Republicans and other allies pick-up an
> unexpected 30 house seats in 2000.

Fair enough. Remind me again, though, what the Dems have done for us with those 30 seats.

When Clinton had a majority, he:

- Tried to pull federal contracts from companies like Diamond Walnut, but that died in court.

- Proposed the striker replacement bill, but couldn't (or didn't) get it passed.

- Put in one or two decent people at the NLRB, like Fred Feinstein as general counsel.

And that's about it for sops to labor, as far as I can tell.

Throw in the family leave act and the minimum wage hike if you like, but then you'll have to weigh welfare reform, NAFTA, etc. on the other side.

Am I missing something?

Josh