the ironic steely dan

Jim Westrich westrich at miser.umass.edu
Fri Oct 8 13:18:16 PDT 1999

Something was blowing through the jasmine of Davis Schneiderman's mind but I can't figure out what. You see listening to Steely Dan records exclusively and continuously for 25 years isn't an exercise in stunted taste; it's research for a staggering thesis of great cultural significance! Josephine the Singer indeed (Kafka reference--look it up that's what grate scholars do).

Well, Madonna is lecturing at Cambridge about media images. Now that's deep. Or is it irony? Where is the sincerity?

Of course I'd rather just listen to good music (like South Sea Bubble's *First on the Left*) but what do I know cultural and political significance (or more importantly writing about). Ironic!

Peace,

Jim

At 02:26 PM 10/8/99 , you wrote:
>didn't pay attn to the writing but i was getting a giggle coz of the
>attempt to link them to burroughs. reminded me of an essay on martha
>stewart. author insisted that she was racist because she was so anal
>about bath towel and linen organization. colonize your bath towels
>=colonizing third world people

"Who knows how the cold wind blows in the regimental mind?"

-- Michael Marra