Alice down under in Wonder

kelley oudies at flash.net
Fri Oct 8 14:10:50 PDT 1999

yoshie, it has to do with the way four women have been treated on this list. i don't care about m-fem and i don't care about charles "real" life [a stupid distinction]. i generally enjoy what chaz has to say, though i don't always agree and i enjoy our phil of social science discussions. but one of the first things that charles ever did was call me, "my sister" in french -- in a condescending enough manner to elicit fraces's ire, who he then treated pretty rudely too. look it up in the archives. oct/nov of last year.

again, i'm not saying that charles is an awful person or anything of the sort. however, you'll both agree that institutionalized sexism is a problem, that it exists on this list, and everyone her perpetuates it in some form or another. and, i think you'll also agree that pointing out when i think a man has belittled a woman b/c she's a woman is just as acceptable as pointing out racist comments --and i've done that before when tom lehman has called people polish suitcases and babushkas. again, compare the posts w/ doug yesterday which were on the same order--of rehashing an old argument. charles did not dismiss doug in the way he dismissed angela. he was quite obsequious.