Fight Club

Peter Kilander peterk at enteract.com
Fri Oct 8 16:31:16 PDT 1999

[ From ad in today's New York Times for Brad Pitt and Edward Norton's new film _Fight Club_, Bret Easton Ellis writing in Gear sounding like Susan Faludi .... dare I say it .... IRONY!]

"'Fight Club's' audacious, strenously trendy exterior is part of its point because at heart this is really a horror movie about consumerist discontent. It's about what happens when a world defines you by a nothing job, when advertising turns you into a slave bowing at a mountain of things that make you uneasy about your lack of physical perfection and how much money you don't have and how famous you aren't. It's about what happens when you're hit by the fact that your life lacks uniqueness; a uniqueness that we're constantly told we have (by parents, by school, by the media). 'Fight Club' rages against the hypocrisy of a society that continually promises us the impossible: fame, beauty, wealth, immortality, life without pain. Now it all comes together with 'Fight Club,' a relentless, dizzy take on the male fear of losing power that's a wild, orgiastic pop masterpiece."

whew, I can smell the testosterone, the angst.