Clinton apologizes

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Oct 8 18:25:18 PDT 1999

[It looks like he was referring to this, delivered about 10 AM: "I spent an enormous amount of time trying to help the people in the land of my forbears in Northern Ireland get over 600 years of religious fights. And every time they make an agreement to do it, they're like a couple of drunks walking out of the bar for the last time -- when they get to the swinging door they turn around and go back in and say, I just can't quite there."]

The White House

Office of the Press Secretary

(Mont Tremblant, Quebec) __________________________________________________________________________ For Immediate Release October 8, 1999

STATEMENT BY THE PRESIDENT

Earlier today, in a discussion of the Irish peace process, I used a metaphor that was inappropriate. I want to express my regret for any offense my remark caused.

30-30-30